A DUI (Driving under Influence) charge can be extremely stressful and can snatch all your peace of mind. To overcome such a situation, you would need a lawyer having expertise in such cases. There are numerous legal firms advertising that they deal with DUI cases. There are also numerous lawyers defending DUIs. But not all the lawyers are qualified enough to handle your case. The key to winning such a charge is the selection of the right lawyer. And it is vital to select a lawyer with utmost care, as your fate would lie in the hands of the lawyer.
After preparing a list of some lawyers, you need to meet with each of them face to face. During your meeting, you need to check out whether the lawyer has all the traits that would help you to overcome such a charge.
Traits of a Good DUI Lawyer:
• The lawyer must have a vast and serious background in cases of DUI. Defending clients charged with such cases should form the predominant part of the lawyer’s practice.
• During your meeting with the prospective lawyer, you should check out where he has helped others practically. For example, did the lawyer actually go to trial for fighting the clients or his/her clients pleaded guilty and accepted the terms. Any lawyer can accompany you to court for pleading guilty. Check out whether the lawyer has a reputation of going to trials.
• Ask for evidences of his success in the cases he handled. A successful lawyer would give you proofs for being successful in DUI cases.
• An efficient DUI lawyer would know what measures to take for bringing sympathy to your DUI case. For example, the lawyer may visit the exact scene for taking some pictures or to find out something out of ordinary. He/she would review all the documents to ensure that none of your rights are compromised or denied. The lawyer would find effective witnesses for you. He/she would know what measures to take to prove you not guilty. Her/she would also know how to minimize your punishment in case found guilty. Charleston sc DUI lawyer is an expert in handling such cases and would ensure that you would get a favorable outcome.
• There is a lot of competition in the field f DUI. Some attorneys have gone too far while trying to get more and more clients. Beware of a lawyer who guarantees you a specific outcome. The outcome of a case depends entirely on the judge who hears the case. It is not possible to predict the outcome of a DUI case. Even if the lawyer has a history of proving clients not guilty, he may not be able to do the same with you.
• If your DUI case would go before a jury, make sure that your lawyer is likeable and believable. If he has an irritating attitude, he may irritate the jury, which can lead to the sealing of your fate.
• The lawyer should present before you a clear and reasonable payment structure. What is expected from the lawyer should be clear to him/her. A contract in written form is always better.
• The lawyer should care about you and understand your situation. You should be confident that he/she would carry out the job well.
DUI laws and penalties are often quite strict. It is important to have an efficient lawyer by your side to defend against such a charge.
Summary: Winning DUI case calls for the expert assistance of a highly experienced lawyer. Check out whether a lawyer is fit to handle your case before hiring one.